Now that you’re the proud owner of a Toff London watch, you’ll probably want to wear it every day. Look after it properly, and it will give you many years of enjoyment. However, there are a few things you need to know to keep it in good running condition and looking and working like new.
Below are some helpful expert tips on how to take care of your watch.
Know what to avoid
First off, though your Toff London watch is designed to be durable there are a few situations you should never expose your watch to:
- It might seem like common sense, but make sure to protect the case from scratches by not wearing it in situations around sharp objects or where you might fall or hit it against hard surfaces.
- You should also keep your timepiece away from high temperatures including hot water and bright direct sunlight as this can fade the print on the dial and shorten the battery life.
- Another big no is exposing your watch to strong magnetic fields, as this can also affect the running accuracy. This includes not leaving it close to some appliances and mobile phones, or magnet fastenings on bags.
Know your watch’s water resistance
It’s important to know what you can and cannot do around water with your Toff London watch. With any watch, you should check the water resistant levels, or risk causing water damage to your timepiece.
Toff London watches are certified as water resistant to 3ATM which means they are ‘splash proof.’ This means:
- You should never immerse your Toff London watch in water for any length of time, and it cannot be brought in the shower or taken swimming. The most it can tolerate water is being caught in a light rain shower or a couple of splashes.
- When changing the time or date, remember to push the crown in fully, as this keeps the inside of your watch protected from water splashes and dust.
Keep it clean
Giving your well-loved Toff London watch a regular clean will leave it looking shiny and new - here’s how.
Cleaning a stainless steel or mesh bracelet
Depending on how often you wear it, you can give your metal watch band a thorough clean every few months, or give it a quick wipe down daily.
- If your watch strap is stainless steel or mesh, it can be soaked in warm soapy water using a small amount of washing up liquid to ensure all the crevices of the strap get clean.
- Alternatively, you can wipe down your strap with a soft, damp cloth or use a soft brush to get into the mesh, before thoroughly wiping dry with a clean dry cloth.
- First, make sure you remove your removable strap to keep your dial safe from water damage. Just check out our handy guide on how to remove your watch strap here. The case itself can be wiped with a slightly damp cloth and then dried.
- Never use heat to dry your watch, but let it air dry to avoid rust.
Cleaning a leather strap
Leather watch straps that are used frequently should be washed once every couple of weeks to keep them looking fresh. When cleaning, they require their own type of care:
- Never immerse a leather strap in water, as this can damage the leather and cause it to rot, or to crack.
- Instead, you can pat any stains with a damp cloth and a tiny amount of hand soap.
- Never use heat to dry it but allow the leather strap to air dry overnight. Make sure the leather strap is fully dry before using your watch again.
Get the battery changed by a professional
When it’s time to change the battery in your Toff London watch, we recommend taking your watch to a qualified watch repair centre. Attempting to do it yourself might result in scratching the case or bracelet, which wouldn’t be covered under warranty.
After having the battery changed, remember to get the watch resealed correctly to maintain the water-resistant level.
Get the strap adjusted professionally
You might need to adjust the strap on your Toff London watch for size. We also recommend going to a professional jeweller or watch repair centre. However, if you decide to do it yourself, take a look at our blog How to change a watch strap here, for more information on changing and adjusting your strap